Monday, December 19, 2016

WEEK 12 SPRINGFIELD (WEEK 69 OF MISSION)

Chrismasi Njema!
Hello everybody!!!  I hope you all had a great week! 

So we have some pretty huge news!   Our mission will be losing all of the Oklahoma areas and stakes to the Oklahoma City Mission!  So no more Tulsa or Bartlesville or Tulsa East zones!  But as a result we won’t have to be covering any more double areas like we are right now!  So in two weeks I will most likely be going to a new apartment and only working in one ward!  I am excited because sometimes it is hard when you are spread so thin!

I love my new companion Elder Strobel!  He is from Idaho Falls, Idaho and we were in the MTC together and have been good friends since the beginning of our missions!!!

We had the best Tender Mercy this week!  Some awesome members, the Brazeals, snuck into our apartment while we were out and completely stocked our kitchen for us.  Due to a weird situation, I was already out of money for the month and this was such a huge blessing to me!!!
 
The Brazeal brothers helping get the groceries.
So much yummy food!

What a blessing a full frig is!

All the necessities!
They even left a treat on my pillow!

Elder Strobel's Pillow
So a couple cool stories from the week!  The first was that lately I have been praying and praying for a vision of how on earth we can teach these Congolese refugees and how we can display our message to them.  Well in my head I kept seeing these big pictures that we could hold up as we read Swahili off the back of them and explained the basic principles of the Restoration.  Well I told my companion this and he instantly walked to the library and showed me that the church has a ton of these big picture things haha, so we went back and started working on our translation and then taped them to the back of the pictures.  Well considering my Swahili is very, very basic and I am still learning and my companion had been studying it for 2 days and maybe a total of 1 hour in those 2 days I was a little nervous going in to teach our friends.  When, we walked into the Bolenge home we gave our message and it was choppy and sloppy but they understood exactly what they needed to do and accepted the invitation to read and pray about the Book of Mormon.  We walked out a little discouraged because we realized how hard it would be to really, really teach them even though they are very prepared by the Lord.  So our discouragement lead me to say well maybe we won’t share the message with the rest of the families tonight but I will just ask them how they are doing and what they need because that is about the extent of my Swahili at this time.  Well when we walked into Sebastian's home, the next house on our schedule, and before we could even really start talking he ran to his room and walked out with his Swahili translated Restoration Pamphlet that was wrinkled and that he had obviously been studying ever since we left it with him the first time we met with him 2 months ago.  He sat down and pointed at his pamphlet and said "teach me, teach me!"  His son, Pascal was there as well who is coming along very quickly with his English and could even basically translate for us!  But we gave our message in Swahili and it was very smooth and we could even start to understand what they were saying to us back and understand their questions.  My favorite part was reading from Sebastian's Swahili bible John 10:16 about Christ speaking of his other sheep.  In this moment it all clicked in Sebastian's head and he turned around and grabbed his Kitabu cha Mormoni and gripped it so tight and held it in the air!  He realized what we had brought him and the importance of it!  I love these people so much they help me realize how important of a message I truly have!  We continue to pray for the vision the Lord has of how to teach these amazing people from the Congo!
 
The Sibbett family from Mena, was in Springfield dropping Larry off at the airport and took Mikey to dinner.  He loves this family so much and they have helped him so much!
Well that was so long it is about time to go.  We had another miracle that I have to mention.  One night our mission president told us to just park our car and walk or go in for the night and call with the phone because the roads were too icy.  So we bundled up and set out on foot hoping to teach a couple more people before the night was over.  While walking to our investigators’ house we then realized the length it really was and started to worry a little bit because it was COLD!!!  The coldest I have ever felt in my life I think.  We prayed twice that somebody might pick us up.  The next few cars drove by.  It was dark outside, it was about 7:30 and I was freezing haha.  We saw another pair of headlights go past us and I made some sarcastic comment, when Elder Strobel was like, ”They stopped!” haha what a tender mercy it was that the Lord would answer our prayers with these two guys turning around picking us up and driving us to our next appointment!  

We got to sit down with the Moi family this week a part-member family from Samoa!!!  That was sweet.

Well that’s all folks!  Love you all hope your Christmas is truly wonderful!  I can’t wait to talk to all my family!!! 

I am in Alma in my Book of Mormon reading and I read about the Anti-Nephi-Lehis and thought of how my mom loves that story!  I don’t know why I remember her saying that but anyway here are some questions to ponder:

1. What "weapons" (habits, sins, etc.) do you need to bury?
2. How deep will you bury them?
3. Will you dig them up when trials arise? 


Love you all! =)